Brightcove Interactivity offers two techniques for creating branching or "choose your own adventure" (CYOA) content.
- In-Video branching - This technique uses a single video. The viewer jumps from poin to point in the same video using annotations. These experiences can be published using Video Cloud Studio or the Brightcove Interactivity UI. For information on in-video branching, see Creating an In-Video Branching Project.
- Video to video branching - This technique uses a Branching Experience where multiple videos are strung together. The viewer jumps from video to video using annotations. These experiences must be published using the Brightcove Interactivity UI. For information on creating a Branching Experience, see Creating a Branching Experience.
Both work equally well, it's a personal preference based on your production process and how your videos are already produced.
Branching best practices
- Focus on just 2 or 3 choices at each choice point. Having fewer choices is much easier for viewers to process and results in higher interaction rates.
- Make sure each choice point lasts for at least 10 seconds.
- Add bumpers (sections of white or black or motion graphics) between the different choice sections to ease the transition. We recommend about 5 seconds.
- Always allow the viewer to return to the choice points. You'll be surprised at how many viewers want to watch a branching video over and over again. To do this, simply add a text or image annotation that links back to the choice point.
- Optional Pro Tip: Continue the audio track underneath the choice points and bumpers. This creates a more seamless experience for the viewer.
We're always happy to advise on your branching interactive video project. Email Brightcove Support any time for personalized advice.