Brightcove Cloud Playout is a Studio module that enables you to program a scheduled playout of items from your VOD catalogue, combined with live feeds, and stream it as a Linear Channel all with the reliability and scalability of Brightcove Live.
You can then use the Cloud Playout channel as a Beacon Channel by entering information about it in creating a Beacon Channel. One major advantage to using Cloud Playout channels is that you will not need to find and integrate a 3rd party EPG provider, since an EPG service is built into Cloud Playout.
Cloud Playout offers a powerful, end-to-end solution for channels of scheduled programming, including:
- 24x7 Linear Channels
- Pop-Up / Virtual Channels
- Simulated Live Events
Cloud Playout helps you increase audience engagement and create new revenue opportunities through a broadcast-like, Live TV experience leveraging pre-recorded content. Use existing VOD assets and add live events (optionally) to create scheduled live channels.
Features of Cloud Playout include:
- Import VOD assets from your Video Cloud Media library.
- Switch between VOD assets and scheduled live feeds.
- React in real time to last minute schedule changes in an easy, quick, and reliable manner.
- Monetize your channel content with server-side ad insertion (SSAI).
- Configure your channel to loop your program.
- Optimize playout by device.
- Drag and drop to re-order the program schedule at any moment, even in Running state.
- API to retrieve the EPG (electronic program guide) for a channel
There are four parts to creating a Cloud Playout channel and adding it to your Beacon app:
- In Beacon Studio, create the channel.
- In Beacon Classic, create a new Beacon channel that uses the Cloud Playout channel as its source.
- In Beacon Studio, add the channel to a playlist.
- In Beacon Studio, add the playlist to page.
The following assumptions and limitations apply.
- Your videos must be ingested or re-transcoded using a Dynamic Delivery profile and must have an MP4 rendition:
- For channels to work in Beacon, you need to specify Brightcove Live as the destination.
The Live job used for the channel destination should be in the same account as the channel. It is possible to use a live job from another account, but you will need to add
/aliveto the RTMP address - for example:
- The maximum input bitrate and resolution supported for Cloud Playout is 20MBPS/1080p for VOD and live inputs.
- Brightcove recommends using videos with at least a 2 minute duration to ensure a correct transition between videos and electronic program guide accuracy
- Captions (text tracks) added to videos currently will display in Cloud Playout channels if you have requested closed captions for MP4 renditions.
- The minimum length for Live events is 5 minutes.
- Every Live Event in Cloud Playout shares an 1:1 relation with a Video Cloud remote asset. This remote asset cannot be re-used in other channels. If the live event is removed from the channel, the associated remote asset will be automatically deleted. When a channel is deleted, any associated remote assets will also be deleted automatically.
- Videos shared to the account from another account currently cannot be added to a Cloud Playout channel.
- When a live event is currently playing, but no active feed is available, the slate content will be played in a loop until the live feed resumes or the event ends. There will be a delay of approximately 30 seconds before the slate MP4 starts playing.
- If the Video Cloud account is configured for geo-restriction, then the channel Output Region should be created in a region compatible with the Video Cloud geo-restriction policy.
- For the best experience, Brightcove recommends using the Google Chrome browser.
- For SSAI-enabled channels, the destination must be set to an ad-enabled RTP live event: